A Japanese man drove into a crowd and stabed 12 people

A japanese man drove into a crowd with a truck, eventually killing three people and injuring two; he then stabbed at least 12 people using a dagger (initially reported as a survival knife), killing four people and injuring eight the incident happened on Sunday, June 8, 2008, in the Akihabara shopping quarter for electronics, video games, manga and anime in Sotokanda, Chiyoda, Tokyo, Japan.

Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department arrested Tomohiro Katō 25, on suspicion of attempted murder. The suspect, dressed then in a black T-shirt with a jacket and off-white trousers, was a resident of Susono, Shizuoka. He was held at the Manseibashi Police Station. Two days later on June 10, he was sent to the Tokyo District Public Prosecutor’s Office. He was later re-arrested by the police on June 20 on suspicion of murder. Kato was sentenced to death by the Tokyo District Court in 2011, and the sentence was upheld on appeal in 2012. As of June 8, 2014, he remains alive on death row.


Katō drove a two-ton rented truck into a crowd at the crossing of Kanda Myōjin-dōri and Chūō-dōri streets in Akihabara. While Kanda Myōjin-dōri was open to traffic, Chūō-dōri was closed to vehicular traffic for the convenience of shopping pedestrians, a practice observed every Sunday and during holidays. Police concluded it was at 12:33 when he hit five people with the truck, after ignoring a red light earlier that morning. As some people gathered to care for the victims, he then left the truck and stabbed at least 12 people, according to a witness, while screaming. Police chased him and cornered him in a narrow alley, and a police officer pointed a gun at him; he dropped his knife and was held down by the police at 12:35 about 170 meters (600 ft) away from the truck.


At least 17 ambulances rushed to the scene as passersby tried to revive the victims. Five of the victims reportedly went into cardiac arrest at the scene. It was initially reported two people died from the attack, and during the day the death toll increased to seven. Later it was determined through autopsies that three victims died as a result of being hit by the truck while the other four were fatally stabbed.


According to police and hospital officials, six of the seven who were killed were men, including Kazunori Fujino and his friend Takahiro Kamaguchi (both 19), Katsuhiko Nakamura (74), Naoki Miyamoto (31), Mitsuru Matsui (33), and Kasuhiro Koiwa (47). A woman, Mai Mutō (21), was also killed. Communication records showed that Mutō probably made an emergency call to police from her mobile phone, though she left no message. Later that day, a makeshift memorial was created by passersby