A retired Gurkha soldier kill three and injuring 8 thieves

Bishnu Shrestha, a retired Gurkha soldier, who was aboard a train attacked by a group of 40 thieves. When the thieves attempted to rape a passenger next to him, he pulled out his khukuri, proceeding to kill three of the attackers and injuring 8 more before the rest fled.

Bishnu Shrestha is a retired Nepalese Gurkha soldier in the Indian army and recipient of the Sena Medal for bravery, and the Uttam Jeevan Raksha Padak medal, both awarded for his gallant conduct during an armed train robbery.

Train Robbery incident

On September 2, 2010, the then 35-year-old Bishnu Shrestha after retiring from his Gurkha soldier military service was on his way to Gorakhpur and was travelling in Maurya Express (Hatia-Gorakhpur), when 15 to 40 armed robbers attacked the train near Chittaranjan, West Bengal and robbed the passengers of their valuables (money, jewellery, cellular phones and laptops).

Gurkha soldier

When the bandits reached Shrestha, he was ready to give up his valuables, but then the 18 year old girl sitting next to him was grabbed by the robbers, who wanted to rape her. The girl, who knew Shrestha was a retired soldier, appealed to him for help. So he pulled out the large, curved khukuri knife that all Gurkha soldiers (and many Gurkha civilians) carry, and went after the bandits.

In the narrow aisle of the train, a trained fighter like Shrestha had the advantage. Although some of the bandits had pistols, they were either fake, or handled by a man who didn’t want to get too close to an angry Gurkha. After about ten minutes of fighting in the train aisles, three bandits were dead and many were wounded, and the rest of them decided to drop their loot (200 cell phones, 40 laptops, lots of jewelry, and nearly $10,000 in cash) and flee. The train resumed its journey promptly, in case the bandits came back, and to get medical aid for the eight bandits who had been cut up by Shrestha (who was also wounded in one hand).

Gurkha soldier

Shrestha suffered a severe injury to his left arm and required two months of medical treatment to recover his injured hand.