Gas is a city in the northwestern part of Allen County, located in southeast Kansas, in the Central United States. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 564. The city was named for the abundant natural gas that was found in the area.
When natural gas was discovered in Elm Township in the summer of 1898 E.K. Taylor sold 60 acres (24 ha) of his farm to some spelter companies and in October sub-divided the remainder into lots, which was the beginning of “Gas City”. The place grew rapidly, the cheap fuel afforded by the immense supply of natural gas bringing in a number of large manufacturing plants of various kinds. In 1910 the population was 1,281, and the city had a bank, a daily and a weekly newspaper, an opera house, an international money order postoffice (first opened in August 1899) from which mail was distributed to the surrounding country by rural free delivery, several good mercantile houses, telegraph and express offices.
Motto: “Don’t Pass Gas, Stop and Enjoy It”