Welsh language is spoken in Chubut Welsh is a province in southern Argentina, situated between the 42nd parallel south (the border with Río Negro Province), the 46th parallel south (bordering Santa Cruz Province), the Andes range to the west, and the Atlantic ocean to the east. The province’s name derives from the Tehuelche word chupat, meaning “”transparent,”” their description of the Chubut River.The largest city, with 180,000 inhabitants, is Comodoro Rivadavia in the south of the province. The administrative capital is Rawson (40,000). Other important cities are Puerto Madryn, Trelew, Esquel and Sarmiento. Gaiman is a cultural and demographic centre of the region known as “”Y Wladfa”” in which Welsh-Argentines are concentrated. Of the 25,000 Welsh speakers in Argentina, many are in the Chubut region, particularly in the original Welsh settlements of Trelew and Trevelin.
Before the Spaniards arrived in the Americas, nomadic indigenous peoples inhabited the Patagonia region. In the 17th and 18th centuries, Spanish missionaries came to the area, and founded the San José Fort on Península Valdés, which was later destroyed by local native peoples. In 1865, Welsh people came to Chubut in the Mimosa ship and were settlied in Chubut Valley area. The region was disputed between Chile and Argentina until 1881, when Chile renounced its claim in order to prevent Argentina from entering into the War of the Pacific.As part of the Conquista del Desierto (Desert conquest), the National Territory of Chubut was created in 1884, of which Luis Fontana was named governor. At the beginning of the 20th century, after the Boer War, some Boer people settled in the town of Sarmiento (already founded by the Welsh people at the end of the 19th century), and in lesser number in other nearby towns.In 1944, the southern part of Chubut and northern part of Santa Cruz were designated the Comodoro Rivadavia military zone. The zone was dissolved in 1955, and Chubut was declared a province.Population shifts of the 20th century, especially from Buenos Aires, raised the population steadily from 190,000 (1970), to 357,000 (1991) and 413,237 (2001). Most of the inhabitants are in the main cities, or in lesser numbers along the Chubut River, which gives most areas a population density of less than 1 inhabitant per square kilometer.”