Typhoon Andy

Typhoon Andy left nearly a quarter of Taiwan residents without power

Typhoon Andy 1982 was an intense tropical cyclone that made landfall in Taiwan. While strengthening, Typhoon Andy passed near Guam, generating 7.6 to 9.1 m (25 to 30 ft) waves along south-facing beaches. An 11-year-old boy passed away in Naval Station after the waves swept him off of rocks. Three “huge” waves struck the shoreline near Umatac, destroying several homes off of their foundation. Along many nearby villages, Scattered damage was noted. At least nine villages were without power for varying amounts of time. In all, 12 people were left homeless.

While affecting Taiwan, Typhoon Andy snapped tress and toppled billboards, in addition to generating high waves. In some places, rainfall reached 300 mm (12 in). Coastal area were hardest hit. Along the southern portion of the island, 300 power poles were downed, making damage reports difficult for the United Press International to obtain. At the highest of the storm, a quarter of the nation’s 18 million residents were left without power. Eight people were killed in storm-related accidents, including a man and a women which died when a car flipped in the central portion of the country. Furthermore, four members of a fishing party were swept out to sea and drowned and an elderly man was blown off a roof

Typhoon Andy

as he tried to fix leaks in it. Another 11-year-old boy was swept into the sea after presumed to have perished while watching waves near the southeastern city of Taitung, though his 16-year-old companion who was also watching the waves was swept away, but was later rescued. In all, 13 people were killed by Typhoon Andy in Taiwan. In Taipei, broken trees and signboards fell on streets due to strong winds. Government offices, schools and airports were closed. At least 60 fishing boats in harbors were badly damaged or wrecked in the wind. Elsewhere, a 23-man crew was forced to abandon a 5,393 short tons (4,890 t) off the northern Philippines. Overall, no major damage damage was observed and no major flooding was reported. After making its final landfall in China, 205.3 mm (8.08 in) of rain was measured in Hong Kong.